Ventura County News
Oxnard mayor accused of classroom battery
OXNARD, Calif. (KABC) -- The mayor of Oxnard is under investigation after an incident involving a high school student. Tim Flynn, who is also a teacher, is accused of battering the girl at Pacifica High School. He has since returned, but questions loom.
"There was an allegation of a misdemeanor battery that occurred at a school in Oxnard involving the mayor of Oxnard, who is also a teacher, and this allegedly occurred in the classroom," said Ventura County Sheriff's Sgt. Eric Buschow.
The complaint was filed by the student's parent with the Oxnard Police Department. But since the Mayor is involved, investigators there turned the case over to the Sheriff's Department to avoid any conflicts of interest.
School district officials say the complaint was lodged last Wednesday, sparking a school district investigation. Flynn missed three days of teaching, but was allowed to return to the classroom on Monday.
"We feel we have already conducted our investigation and we have taken the action we deemed necessary," said Oxnard Union High School District Assistant Superintendent William Dabbs.
What that action was, Dabbs wouldn't say, citing personnel privacy rules. Nor would he say Flynn was cleared of the battery allegations.
Eyewitness News was unable to reach Flynn for comment Tuesday. Neither school officials nor the sheriff's department released the name of the student who filed the charges. But the district says even though Flynn has returned to work, the case is not completely resolved.
"Anytime that there's an investigation going on, then we would certainly have to take into consideration whatever they come up with in terms of their investigation," said Dabbs.
school, ventura county news, rob hayes
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment 43 min ago
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Big Sur fire burns 769 acres; chance of rain
- Bipartisan budget deal nears final passage
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- India diplomat claims cavity search in NYC
- Ronnie Biggs, 'Great Train Robber,' dies at 84
- 3-yr-old recovering after 5-organ transplant 19 min ago
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present