Ventura County News
Missing Thousand Oaks teens found in Newbury Park
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. (KABC) -- Two missing Thousand Oaks teens have been found in Newbury Park. Authorities say they are in good health.
Authorities say Kaylee Rebert, 14, and Nicholas Marino, 13, were located after a citizen reported seeing the missing teens. Deputies found them shortly after 3 p.m. at an undisclosed location in Newbury Park, which is a community within Thousand Oaks.
"I'm very relieved that they found him," said Chuck Marino, father of Nicholas Marino. "It's not over. He's not happy to be found. He's suicidal unfortunately, but I'm very relieved that he's found."
The teens were taken to the East County Sheriff's Station to be interviewed by investigators.
Police say Nicholas Marino ran away from home with his girlfriend, Kaylee Rebert, at about 1 a.m. Thursday, sneaking out of their homes and leaving similar suicide notes.
"The note that he left basically said that he would do something, that I wouldn't find his body," Chuck Marino said.
He said his son has been depressed for the past several months, and he believes Kaylee Rebert was also depressed.
"He just seemed to not be happy," Chuck Marino said. "He was not happy with his friends, his school, his family."
Both teens went to Redwood Middle School. The school declined to comment on the teens.
On Thursday, detectives handed out fliers with pictures of the missing teens, and the Ventura County's Search and Rescue team scoured Wildwood Regional Park after canines and bloodhound dogs led authorities to the area. The search effort was conducted on foot, motorcycles, and from the air.
missing person, ventura county news
- Motorcycle officer struck by hit-run driver
- LAPD seeing fewer qualified applicants
- LA council OKs restrictions on e-cig sellers
- Cold front moving across Southern California
- LAX shooting suspect appears in IE court
- UCLA police seek sexual battery suspect
- Ventura growers protect crops from freezing
- Sebastian Ridley-Thomas wins special election
- Stolen truck with radioactive load found
- abcnews: Mysterious stillbirths baffle doctors
- 'Top Gun' woman tapped for Pentagon no. 2 job
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- OTRC: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman in new film