Ventura County News
Missing Thousand Oaks teens found in Newbury Park
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. (KABC) -- Two missing Thousand Oaks teens have been found in Newbury Park. Authorities say they are in good health.
Authorities say Kaylee Rebert, 14, and Nicholas Marino, 13, were located after a citizen reported seeing the missing teens. Deputies found them shortly after 3 p.m. at an undisclosed location in Newbury Park, which is a community within Thousand Oaks.
"I'm very relieved that they found him," said Chuck Marino, father of Nicholas Marino. "It's not over. He's not happy to be found. He's suicidal unfortunately, but I'm very relieved that he's found."
The teens were taken to the East County Sheriff's Station to be interviewed by investigators.
Police say Nicholas Marino ran away from home with his girlfriend, Kaylee Rebert, at about 1 a.m. Thursday, sneaking out of their homes and leaving similar suicide notes.
"The note that he left basically said that he would do something, that I wouldn't find his body," Chuck Marino said.
He said his son has been depressed for the past several months, and he believes Kaylee Rebert was also depressed.
"He just seemed to not be happy," Chuck Marino said. "He was not happy with his friends, his school, his family."
Both teens went to Redwood Middle School. The school declined to comment on the teens.
On Thursday, detectives handed out fliers with pictures of the missing teens, and the Ventura County's Search and Rescue team scoured Wildwood Regional Park after canines and bloodhound dogs led authorities to the area. The search effort was conducted on foot, motorcycles, and from the air.
missing person, ventura county news
- Kidnap suspect search shuts down DTLA streets
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- IE man found guilty of molesting 3 girls
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Toddler found playing inside toy claw machine
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Mrs. Doubtfire 2' planned, child star reacts