Ventura County News
Fillmore brush fire prompts evacuations
FILLMORE, Calif. (KABC) -- Two fires burning in the Fillmore area have prompted evacuations in Ventura County, the sheriff's department said Monday.
The fire broke out around 3:15 p.m. when a mobile home went up in flames, according to Capt. Don Aguilar of the Ventura County Sheriff's Department. The fire was dubbed the "Goodenough Incident." The fire began at the mobile home before moving to an orchard near Goodenough Road.
At least one home and one structure were reported to have burned.
According to the Ventura County Fire Department, two roads were being evacuated at 7 p.m.: Morris Road and Hunter Lane. Approximately 84 homes were under evacuation orders, near Foothill Drive and Arundell Circle. More than 100 people were affected.
An evacuation center was set up near the corner of Central Avenue and 2nd Street in Fillmore.
The fire was burning north of the 126 Freeway near Hunter Drive. Flames were reportedly traveling east toward Pole Creek.
About 170 acres had burned by 9 p.m.
The Los Angeles County Fire Department was sending air support to help firefighters battle the blaze.
At least 72 fire units were on scene at 6 p.m. Fire crews from Fillmore, Santa Paula, Ventura County and Los Angeles County tackled the flames from the ground and air.
Wind gusts of up to 45 mph were reported.
Animal control was also at the scene at the Fillmore Memorial Building to help with small animals.
Fillmore is a small city about 50 miles north of Los Angeles.
fire, brush fire, ventura county news
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case 32 min ago
- Fontana suspect escapes from police station
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed
- Parents distracted by devices, study says 55 min ago
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...