Ventura County News
Max Factor heir resentenced to 50 years for rapes
VENTURA, Calif. (KABC) -- Andrew Luster, an heir to the Max Factor makeup products fortune, was resentenced Tuesday to a reduced term for a conviction of three rapes.
Superior Court Judge Kathryne Stoltz resentenced Luster to 50 years, throwing out an original sentence of 124 years. Luster has already served 10 years for drugging and raping three women.
He was arrested in 2000. He fled the country while on trial in 2003. He was convicted of 86 felony counts in his absence. He was then captured in Mexico and returned later that year.
Under the new sentence issued Tuesday, he'll be eligible for parole in 15 years, prosecutors said. The defense had sought a sentence of 25 years or less.
Prosecutors argued in a sentencing memorandum filed last week that Luster's sentence was appropriate, but the original court's reasoning needed to be explained.
On Tuesday, Deputy District Attorney Michelle Contois called Luster's crimes "cruel, vicious and callous."
Last month, the judge refused a request to throw out Luster's conviction but granted him a resentencing hearing, writing in her ruling that the court "failed to state specific reasons for imposing full consecutive sentences" as the law requires.
Luster's lawyers said they would continue to appeal his conviction despite the new sentence.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
celebrity, court case, ventura county news
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood 27 min ago
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train 44 min ago
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator 59 min ago
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February 3 min ago
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion 10 min ago
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
37 min ago