Ventura County News
Ventura police searching for shooting suspect
VENTURA, Calif. (KABC) -- A search is under way for a suspect who allegedly shot a man in Ventura County Sunday.
Officers responded to the 700 block of Ventura Avenue around 10:44 p.m. following several 911 calls regarding gunfire.
Arriving officers were initially unable to locate the victim or a crime scene.
The Ventura Police Command Center was shortly notified that a gunshot victim had checked in to Ojai Valley Community Hospital. During the later investigation, officers learned the victim ran away in fear.
According to authorities, Fidencio Ramirez, 20, of Oak View was walking on North Ventura Avenue when he heard the sound of a gunshot and felt a burning sensation in his left arm.
The victim told authorities he turned around and saw more flashes. That's when Ramirez ran towards GasCo located at North Ventura Avenue and Kellogg Street and told the clerk he had been shot.
Officials said Ramirez feared the suspect was following him so he left GasCo and ran southbound on North Ventura Avenue. The victim caught a ride home from an unknown citizen.
Once Ramirez arrived home, family members brought him to the hospital. The victim was transported from Ojai Valley Community Hospital to Ventura County Medical Center for surgery.
The cause of the shooting remains unknown. Anyone with information related to the incident was urged to contact the Ventura Police Department at (805) 339-4441.
shooting, homicide investigation, ventura county news
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Inmate escapes jail hours after sentencing
- Norwood pleads not guilty to weapons charge
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting 26 min ago
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
15 min ago