Ventura County News
Simi Valley teacher accused of sex with student now pleads guilty
SIMI VALLEY, Calif. (KABC) -- A former Simi Valley elementary school teacher accused of having sex with a student has changed her plea from not guilty to guilty.
Malia Brooks, who taught at Garden Grove Elementary School for nearly a decade, is accused of multiple counts of sex acts on a child under the age of 14. The alleged victim was a sixth grader at the school.
Brooks, 32, had pleaded not guilty to all charges during her arraignment on Wednesday.
The married mother of two was put on administrative leave in February and resigned last week. She remained in jail Thursday on $2 million bail.
Brooks is due in court on Aug. 23 for sentencing. Her attorney said at that time, he will present evidence of her mental state. Attorney Ron Bamieh has said that his client suffers from mental illness. He is hoping her sentence will be between four and six years.
school, ventura county news
- LA Marathon: Ethiopian runners sweep race 15 min ago
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- Los Angeles Marathon 2014 street closures
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- William Clay Ford, Lions owner, dies 5 min ago
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video