Ventura County News
Port Hueneme officer-involved shooting: Suspect killed
PORT HUENEME, Calif. (KABC) -- An investigation is underway in Port Hueneme after a fatal officer-involved shooting early Friday morning. It began with a traffic collision and ended with gunfire.
The massive crime scene shut down a parking lot of Port Hueneme's beach park.
Authorities responded to a traffic collision in the 500 block of East Surfside Drive at 4:13 a.m. Shortly after the officers arrived, shots were fired.
"A short while after they arrived on scene, they requested the assistance because shots were being fired," said Port Hueneme Police Sgt. Peter Freiberg.
The suspect was pronounced dead at the scene. A name has not been released pending notification of next of kin. It was unclear if a gun was recovered at the scene.
"He's always parked his truck up here at night and in the morning," said Donni Perez of Port Hueneme.
Both police officers involved in the shooting will be on paid leave pending the outcome of the investigation. This is the first officer-involved shooting for Port Hueneme police this year. They only had one last year.
officer-involved shooting, ventura county news, john gregory
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- Malaysia air force: Jet may have turned back
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book