Ventura County News
Hand-held propane tank explodes at Fillmore barbecue; woman killed
FILLMORE, Calif. (KABC) -- An outdoor barbecue with family and friends turned deadly at a Fillmore home Sunday evening.
Fillmore fire officials say Astrid Marmont, 41, was killed and her husband was seriously injured after a hand-held propane tank exploded.
Investigators say the family used the tank to light coals on their barbecue and then sat it down nearby.
"It's a hand-held propane lighter. It appears...that they sat the propane bottle next to the barbecue and the radiant heat from the barbecue heated up the gases in this hand-held propane bottle. The gasses in this propane bottle expanded to the point it had nowhere to expand and actually...exploded," said Fillmore Fire Chief Rigo Landeros.
Neighbors said they heard the explosion followed by screams.
"I heard screaming and yelling. I looked over my fence and I knew it was serious," said Paul Tholl of Fillmore. "They were applying pressure to her neck. From what I could see, it didn't look good. It's a tragedy."
Fire officials say safety is very important when doing anything that involves fire and propane or any other kind of flammable igniting fluid.
"Always use these types of tools in an open area. Make sure that you keep it away from any radiant heat. Also wear the proper equipment -- gloves, some goggles, anything of that sort -- to help prevent any accidents from happening," said Landeros.
accident, ventura county news, leo stallworth
- Malaysian: Investigators conclude flight hijacked 1 min ago
- Westbound 134 Fwy closed due to police activity 22 min ago
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Brush fire burning near Gorman by Quail Lake
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged
- Perris pastor arrested for rape of minor
- CA couple allegedly left child in car to gamble
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
23 min ago
- Callie's Cause: Paddle, run to fight epilepsy
44 min ago