Ventura County News
Simi Valley bird confirmed with acute West Nile Virus infection
SIMI VALLEY, Calif. (KABC) -- The Ventura County Environmental Health Division announced Wednesday that a bird found in Simi Valley tested positive for an acute West Nile Virus infection.
The California Department of Health confirmed that a wild bird collected by vector control technicians the second week of September had the infection.
The bird was collected from the Simi Valley area.
Eight birds have tested positive for West Nile Virus (WNV) in Ventura County in 2013.
Officials expect more infected birds to be found.
The public is advised to take the following precautions to minimize exposure to WNV:
- Eliminate standing water from their property to reduce mosquito breeding, including water in buckets, barrels, old tires, children's toys, ornamental ponds, and neglected swimming pools.
- Make sure exterior doors and windows have tight-fitting screens. Screens should be replaced if they are torn or have holes.
- Limit outdoor activity when mosquitoes are most active, especially at dawn and dusk.
- When outdoors, wear long pants and long-sleeved shirts.
- Apply insect repellent containing DEET, picaradin or oil of lemon eucalyptus, according to label instructions.
The WNV also affects horses. For information about the WNV infection in horses and preventative measures, horse owners should contact their veterinarian.
Mosquito-eating fish are available from the EHD at no charge to residents for use in ornamental ponds and similar water features. To order fish, the public should call (805) 662-6582.
To report potential mosquito-breeding sources in Ventura County created from improperly maintained swimming pools and other similar water impoundments located on private property, the public is encouraged to call the mosquito complaint hotline at (805) 658-4310.
ventura county news
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Brush fire burning near Gorman by Quail Lake
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate?
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged
- Perris pastor arrested for rape of minor
- Woman, horse rescued at Angeles Nat'l Forest
- CA couple allegedly left child in car to gamble
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- 100-year-old Olaf Pooley preps for SM artwalk
23 min ago