Ventura County News
Oxnard residents warned of fumigation robberies
OXNARD, Calif. (KABC) -- Residents in Oxnard are being warned of burglars targeting homes tented for pest fumigation.
There have been 26 fumigation burglaries in Oxnard, and 24 of those were in the last six months.
The hardest hit neighborhoods are Cal-Gisler, Kamala Durley Park and Bartolo Square - all on the south end of Oxnard.
In about half of the burglaries, investigators say the thieves entered the tented homes through open and unlocked doors and took electronics, jewelry, purses, clothing and even guns in some incidents. This most likely occurred during the ventilation period of the fumigation process when homes have to force out air.
In other cases, doors and windows were pried or smashed for access.
The problem isn't just in Oxnard. Earlier this year, there were similar incidents in Ventura and throughout Los Angeles County.
Oxnard police urged residents who are undergoing fumigation to remove small valuables like money, jewelry, keys and personal documents from their homes. Residents were also encouraged to advise neighbors to be vigilant and help report suspicious activity during fumigation dates. Also, some fumigation companies have sensors that go off when anyone enters a tented building.
You can report suspicious activity to the Oxnard Police Department at (805) 385-7740 or Ventura County Crime Stoppers at (805) 385-8255.
robbery, ventura county news
- LA earthquake: 4.4-mag. quake shakes SoCal
- Body found at Anaheim trash center identified
- Video: Stranded man rescued from Castaic crash
- Crimea declares independence; West hits back 24 min ago
- Burbank couple rescues child with mattress 17 min ago
- Man high on meth terrorizes Covina family
- Newport Beach Little League suspension lifted
- Santa Monica building fire leaves 5 people hurt
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- Malaysian plane search expands further 20 min ago
- abcnews: Woman says Scientology tore apart her family 24 min ago
- SEALs take oil tanker from Libyan rebels 49 min ago
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios for $32 million
- OTRC: 'The Walking Dead' recap: Season 4, ep 14