Ventura County News
House cleaner accused of stealing jewelry from Ventura Co. homes
CAMARILLO, Calif. (KABC) -- A house cleaner has been arrested for allegedly stealing more than $30,000 in jewelry from five homes across Ventura County.
In September, Camarillo detectives began investigating reports of jewelry theft from homes in the Leisure Village community. Investigators also received similar reports of jewelry grand theft from other neighborhoods in Camarillo, Moorpark, Oxnard and Ventura.
Many of the victims were elderly, but investigators found one common thread in all of the cases. All of the targeted homes employed the same housecleaners - Manuel Cervantes Moreno, 39, of Oxnard and his mother.
The first report of theft was filed in April.
On Thursday, Camarillo detectives served a searched warrant on Moreno's home. During the search, investigators found illegal narcotics, ammunition and stolen property. Moreno was arrested and no other suspects were identified.
Moreno was booked into the Ventura County Jail for five counts of grand theft, possession of stolen property, possession of illegal narcotics, being under the influence of narcotics and possession of ammunition by a felon. His bail was set at $150,000.
If you hired Moreno as a house cleaner and believe you were a victim of a crime, you're urged to contact Detective Julie Novak at (805) 388-5115.
ventura county news
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal 4 min ago
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Target photo flap creates thigh gap
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Selena Gomez films Adidas ads (Photos)