Ventura County News
Simi Valley officer foils car burglaries
SIMI VALLEY, Calif. (KABC) -- A man allegedly trying to break into cars in Simi Valley was caught in the act by an off-duty officer Saturday.
The officer was driving with his wife in the 3700 block of Valencia Avenue when they came across a suspicious male. The subject appeared to be attempting to enter parked vehicles by trying the door handles.
When the officer approached the man, the suspect became agitated and aggressive and began threatening the officer and his wife.
Fearing for his life, the officer produced his off-duty handgun and the suspect immediately fled on foot.
Patrol officers responded the area to assist the officer and eventually detained the suspect near the 3700 block of Alamo Street without incident.
Ethan Gottlieb, 23, was taken into custody for criminal threats. During the later investigation, officers learned the suspect was on probation for a prior burglary conviction.
No property crimes were reported in the area where Gottlieb was observed Saturday.
arrest, burglary, ventura county news
- Report of gun in LA Times bldg: suspect detained 44 min ago
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested 37 min ago
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Breast cancer treatment uses extreme heat
- Cute bear cub left alone at animal rescue 28 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour 49 min ago