Ventura County News
Ventura robbery attempt likely gang related
VENTURA, Calif. (KABC) -- A search is underway for a suspect with possible gang connections who beat up and attempted to rob a man in Ventura.
Shortly before 4 p.m. Wednesday, Ventura officers were called to the 5200 block of Shenandoah Street about a robbery attempt.
Investigators say the victim was walking in the area when a dark SUV with numerous people inside stopped alongside him. One suspect exited the car and asked what gang the victim was in.
When the victim denied belonging to a gang, the suspect yelled out a local gang name and began repeatedly hitting the victim in the head and torso.
Police say the suspect demanded money from the victim and rifled through his pockets. When he came up empty, the suspect returned to the awaiting SUV, which was last seen fleeing in the area north of Chalmette Street.
Officers searched the area but could not locate the suspect. The victim sustained minor injuries from the incident.
The suspect is described as a Hispanic male in his 20s, about 5 feet 7 inches tall with short, dark hair and a thin build.
If you have any information about this crime, you're urged to contact the Ventura Police Department at (805) 339-4441.
robbery, ventura county news
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case 6 min ago
- Fontana suspect escapes from police station
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed
- Parents distracted by devices, study says 29 min ago
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...