Ventura County News
Neighbors found dead on front lawns in Simi Valley cul-de-sac
SIMI VALLEY, Calif. (KABC) -- Two neighbors were found dead in the front yards of two homes at the end of a Simi Valley cul-de-sac Tuesday. Residents said the two people had a long-running feud.
Authorities responded to a call to the 3300 block of Billie Court just after 7 a.m. and discovered the bodies of a woman and a man.
"When (neighbors) looked outside the front of their residence, (they) believed what they saw was just an injured person," said Stephanie Shannon of the Simi Valley Police Department. "When the fire department arrived on scene, they actually were able to locate two deceased people here in front of the residence."
Officials believe that the man shot and killed his neighbor, and then killed himself.
"It's kind of scary," said neighbor Mary Bernberg. "You didn't expect that to happen in your neighborhood."
Police say they have not determined a motive for the apparent murder-suicide, but according to several neighbors, there had been a long-running feud between the two deceased people.
"Like every neighborhood, you can have a little tit for tat, but to bring it to that level is ridiculous," said Dan Johnson of Simi Valley.
Friends of the victims came by to see for themselves what happened. One man who says he worked with the woman came by because she didn't show up to work Tuesday morning. He was stunned to hear the news.
"She had a good heart, a nice person to work for," said the man, identified only as Dave. "That's scary to hear that happened to her. A nice lady."
Police said a gun was found at the scene.
The investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information related to the case is urged to call Ventura County Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.
body found, homicide investigation, ventura county news
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Stage collapse reported at Servite High School
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video