Ventura County News
Moorpark High closed after threatening note
MOORPARK, Calif. (KABC) -- Moorpark High School has closed for the day after a threat was made, according to the Ventura County Sheriff's Department.
Authorities received a 911 call at 8:20 a.m. Thursday regarding a threatening note left by a male student. Students were immediately locked down in their classrooms. As certain areas of the school were cleared by deputies, students in those areas were placed outside, officials said.
A short time later, the 16-year-old student, believed to have written the note, was found dead on a nearby railroad tracks. Investigators said he committed suicide by stepping in front of an oncoming passenger train.
Just after 11 a.m., officials announced that students were being released from school for the day. Parents have been notified that school is closed for the day.
It was unclear what the threatening note said, but the Ventura County Sheriff's Department stated that it was a "threat of harm," not a shooting threat.
Moorpark High School was expected to resume classes Friday. School officials said grief counselors will available for students and faculty members.
Arroyo West and Mountain Meadow Elementary schools were placed on lockdown as a precaution, but those lockdowns have since been lifted. Both schools have resumed normal operations, the sheriff's department said.
school, ventura county news
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Tustin theater evacuated for investigation
- Burbank stabbing leaves 2 in serious condition
- High-speed chase leads to arrests, 5 injuries
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report