Ventura County News
Oarfish mystery: Ventura students study tissue samples
VENTURA, Calif. (KABC) -- Students at Foothill Technology High School in Ventura are studying tissue samples from two oarfish that recently came ashore in Southern California.
One was found last October on Catalina Island, and the other was found just a few days later in Oceanside.
The high school seniors are preparing tissues samples for DNA testing, with the help of Coastal Marine Biolabs.
The tissue is undergoing DNA testing to figure out the species. Oarfish live nearly 3,000 feet under water and are rarely seen -- dead or alive.
animal news, ventura county news
- Metro votes to keep ExpressLanes program
- Willowbrook gunman kills teen at apartment 32 min ago
- Protestors commemorate Armenian Genocide 52 min ago
- LAPD Mid-City station shooter dies of injuries
- 2 killed, 5 hurt in I-5 accident in Irvine
- Oxnard teacher arrested for child annoyance
- Granada Hills fire damages strip mall shops
- NorCal bus crash: Mother of student sues FedEx
- Afghan hospital guard kills 3 American doctors
- Ferry death toll at 175; families outraged
- abcnews: 'SOS' message saves marooned snorkelers
- Obama: Asia-Pacific trade deal not in danger
- NYPD Twitter backlash spreads to LAPD
- OTRC: Peter Jackson: 'The Hobbit 3' title changed