Ventura County News
Ventura Pier reopens following urgent repairs
VENTURA, Calif. (KABC) -- The historic Ventura Pier has reopened after it was temporarily closed for urgent repairs amid high surf advisories Friday.
Officials said a support beam gave way, forcing the closure. One of its timber pilings was also found to be damaged.
Parks and Public Works officials inspected the pier Sunday and determined it was safe for the public.
A city contractor is scheduled to visit the pier Monday to assess the piling damage and make recommendations.
Officials say it's not clear what caused the damage, but high tides and fierce, rogue waves have been pounding the 1700-footlong pier all week.
ventura county news
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- LB mayoral candidate mailer wrongly shows SD
- Benjamin Netanyahu discusses Iran at LA event
- San Clemente HS lockdown lifted after threat
- Drunk gambler sues LV casino following loss
- Moorpark school lockdown: Suspect arrested
- Parents, daughter accused in $7M shoplifting spree
- Baby rescued on FL freeway home from hospital
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: Charges filed in missing nursing student case
- Bitcoin exchange CEO's death ruled 'unnatural'
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
12 min ago