Ventura County News
Ventura Pier reopens following urgent repairs
VENTURA, Calif. (KABC) -- The historic Ventura Pier has reopened after it was temporarily closed for urgent repairs amid high surf advisories Friday.
Officials said a support beam gave way, forcing the closure. One of its timber pilings was also found to be damaged.
Parks and Public Works officials inspected the pier Sunday and determined it was safe for the public.
A city contractor is scheduled to visit the pier Monday to assess the piling damage and make recommendations.
Officials say it's not clear what caused the damage, but high tides and fierce, rogue waves have been pounding the 1700-footlong pier all week.
ventura county news
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college 1 min ago
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Two men arrested in Simi Valley car thefts 14 min ago
- Anaheim fire: House had pack rat conditions
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- Murder suspect worried tattoo might hurt case 48 min ago
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Laura Prepon reacts to Tom Cruise rumors
- Unsolved murder mystery revealed in doc
53 min ago
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
41 min ago