Ventura County News
Bicyclist hit, killed in Oxnard hit-run; driver arrested
OXNARD, Calif. (KABC) -- A bicyclist was killed in a hit-and-run crash involving a DUI suspect in Oxnard on Sunday, police said. The suspect was later arrested.
Gerald Zoleta Garcia, 43, was hit and killed near Rose Avenue and Raiders Way shortly after 2 a.m. According to police, Garcia was one of two bicyclists riding southbound on Rose Avenue in the bicycle lane. The suspect, later identified as 29-year-old Policarpio Diaz, was driving a black 2000 Volkswagen GTI.
Police said according to a witness, Diaz was driving in the bike lane. That's when Garcia was hit. Garcia was ejected from the bike, and Diaz fled the scene with the bike stuck underneath the car. Paramedics found Garcia lying in the road. He suffered fatal injuries.
Witnesses helped police locate Diaz nearby. Police said Diaz showed signs of being under the influence of alcohol. Diaz was arrested booked into the Ventura County Jail for felony DUI, felony hit and run, felony vehicular manslaughter and two outstanding misdemeanor DUI warrants.
The investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information is asked to call police at (805) 385-7750.
ventura county news
- Nurse stabbed at Sylmar hospital; 1 arrested
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- North Hollywood hit-and-run driver sought
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy in Harbor City
- Driver smashes car into Fillmore dollar store
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour