Ventura County News
Bicyclist hit, killed in Oxnard hit-run; driver arrested
OXNARD, Calif. (KABC) -- A bicyclist was killed in a hit-and-run crash involving a DUI suspect in Oxnard on Sunday, police said. The suspect was later arrested.
Gerald Zoleta Garcia, 43, was hit and killed near Rose Avenue and Raiders Way shortly after 2 a.m. According to police, Garcia was one of two bicyclists riding southbound on Rose Avenue in the bicycle lane. The suspect, later identified as 29-year-old Policarpio Diaz, was driving a black 2000 Volkswagen GTI.
Police said according to a witness, Diaz was driving in the bike lane. That's when Garcia was hit. Garcia was ejected from the bike, and Diaz fled the scene with the bike stuck underneath the car. Paramedics found Garcia lying in the road. He suffered fatal injuries.
Witnesses helped police locate Diaz nearby. Police said Diaz showed signs of being under the influence of alcohol. Diaz was arrested booked into the Ventura County Jail for felony DUI, felony hit and run, felony vehicular manslaughter and two outstanding misdemeanor DUI warrants.
The investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information is asked to call police at (805) 385-7750.
ventura county news
- Anaheim Hills school bus crash: 9 injured 1 min ago
- Big-rig crash shuts down 210 Fwy, Gold Line 1 min ago
- Protesters commemorate Armenian Genocide
- Metro votes to keep ExpressLanes program
- Willowbrook gunman kills teen at apartment
- LAPD Mid-City station shooter dies of injuries
- Oxnard teacher arrested for child annoyance
- NorCal bus crash: Mother of student sues FedEx
- Afghan hospital guard kills 3 American doctors
- Ferry death toll at 175; families outraged
- abcnews: 'SOS' message saves marooned snorkelers
- Obama: Asia-Pacific trade deal not in danger
- Olivia Wilde, Jason Sudeikis welcome baby boy
- OTRC: Beyonce on '100 Most Influential People' cover
- Pet of the Week: Mini Pinscher named Tabasco
45 min ago