Ventura County News
Bicyclist hit, killed in Oxnard hit-run; driver arrested
OXNARD, Calif. (KABC) -- A bicyclist was killed in a hit-and-run crash involving a DUI suspect in Oxnard on Sunday, police said. The suspect was later arrested.
Gerald Zoleta Garcia, 43, was hit and killed near Rose Avenue and Raiders Way shortly after 2 a.m. According to police, Garcia was one of two bicyclists riding southbound on Rose Avenue in the bicycle lane. The suspect, later identified as 29-year-old Policarpio Diaz, was driving a black 2000 Volkswagen GTI.
Police said according to a witness, Diaz was driving in the bike lane. That's when Garcia was hit. Garcia was ejected from the bike, and Diaz fled the scene with the bike stuck underneath the car. Paramedics found Garcia lying in the road. He suffered fatal injuries.
Witnesses helped police locate Diaz nearby. Police said Diaz showed signs of being under the influence of alcohol. Diaz was arrested booked into the Ventura County Jail for felony DUI, felony hit and run, felony vehicular manslaughter and two outstanding misdemeanor DUI warrants.
The investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information is asked to call police at (805) 385-7750.
ventura county news
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash 28 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- Cat rescued from 91 Fwy divider in Riverside 19 min ago
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Obama to preserve California federal lands 15 min ago
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video