Father dies saving daughter in Minn. tornado
MENTOR, Minn. (KABC) -- A father gave up his life to save his daughter as a tornado tore through their Minnesota town.
Wes Michaels, 58, and his daughter Heidi were working at the family convenience store when the weather turned bad.
Michaels went to check on his daughter and rushed her to the store's cooler for safe cover, but the tornado hit before they could reach it. That's when Michaels threw his body on top of his daughter to protect her from the crush of the rubble.
"I was buried and I called out for him to save me and he had already saved me because he took the brunt of the force and I survived because of him, and I am so, so very grateful for that," she said.
It was Michaels' 58th birthday.
tornado, hero, national news
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78 21 min ago
- Missing jet flew for 6+ hrs after contact drop
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Woman, horse rescued at Angeles Nat'l Forest
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report