Father dies saving daughter in Minn. tornado
MENTOR, Minn. (KABC) -- A father gave up his life to save his daughter as a tornado tore through their Minnesota town.
Wes Michaels, 58, and his daughter Heidi were working at the family convenience store when the weather turned bad.
Michaels went to check on his daughter and rushed her to the store's cooler for safe cover, but the tornado hit before they could reach it. That's when Michaels threw his body on top of his daughter to protect her from the crush of the rubble.
"I was buried and I called out for him to save me and he had already saved me because he took the brunt of the force and I survived because of him, and I am so, so very grateful for that," she said.
It was Michaels' 58th birthday.
tornado, hero, national news
- Nelson Mandela dies in South Africa at age 95
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- Montebello remains are not human - coroner
- IE basketball coach accused of sexual misconduct
- Cold snap moving across Southern California
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle 57 min ago
- Over 2 million Internet accounts hacked
- Oscar Isaac can relate to 'Llewyn Davis'
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate
- Cool Kid raises money for children's hospital
26 min ago