Obama: U.S. bond with Israel 'unbreakable'
WASHINGTON (KABC) -- President Barack Obama and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declared on Tuesday that any talk of a rift is unfounded. Obama said the U.S.-Israeli bond is "unbreakable."
The president praised Israel's recent decision to greatly ease its 3-year blockade of the Gaza Strip as "real progress." And he said he believes Netanyahu "wants peace" with the Palestinians and is serious about resuming the face-to-face Mideast peace talks that broke off in December 2008.
Netanyahu pledged that "we're committed" to peace with the Palestinians. He said reports of the demise of the U.S.-Israel relationship are "flat wrong."
Netanyahu and Obama talked as protesters gathered across the street in Lafayette Park and chanted "No More Aid, End the Blockade," referring to Israel's blockade of the Gaza Strip.
- It was the 5th meeting for Obama and Netanyahu; Tuesday was a makeup for a scheduled June 1 meeting canceled to deal with fallout from the flotilla raid.
- In their last meeting at The White House, Obama, upset over Israeli policies in disputed East Jerusalem, had Netanyahu to the White House in the evening - and out of sight of all media coverage.
- The two leaders appeared together before reporters in the Oval Office and then went into a lengthy working lunch.
gaza strip, palestinian, president barack obama, the white house, national news
- DTLA police search: armed, dangerous suspect 3 min ago
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies 10 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- Female pedestrian struck, killed in Riverside
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat
- abcnews: Conjoined twins see sunlight for 1st time
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Toddler found playing inside toy claw machine
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: Will Arnett files for divorce from Poehler