Gulf relief well down to final 100 feet
NEW ORLEANS (KABC) -- A drill guided by one person is less than 100 feet away from its target, half the size of a dartboard.
The relief well is touted as the best solution to prevent crude oil from spilling into the Gulf of Mexico again.
It's the final act, as John Wright guides a drill more than two miles beneath the sea floor and three miles from the surface, trying to hit a target less than half the size of a dartboard. The drill is about as wide as a grapefruit, and the target now lies less than 100 feet away.
If Wright misses, BP engineers will pull the drill bit up, pour concrete in the off-track hole and then try again.
Wright is 40-for-40 , though, having helped capped wells across the world in four decades of work. And he seemed confident in a June video put out by BP that he could make it 41-for-41.
- BP says it has received 145,000 claims for lost income because of its blown-out well and has paid out $324 million without denying a single claim.
- BP Chief Executive Bob Dudley met with top administration officials at the White House Monday to discuss environmental and economic recovery in the Gulf.
- The Justice Department says BP made its first deposit into a $20 billion fund for victims of the Gulf oil spill -- more than a month earlier than planned.
- Weeks ago, scientists discovered specks of oil on crab larvae. They say it's an ominous sign that crude has infiltrated the Gulf's vast food web - and could affect it for years.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
environment, storm, british petroleum, environmental protection agency, national news
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage 58 min ago
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- 4 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- Big Bear Lake's pirate ship afloat again
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Jennifer Lopez's sexy new music video
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
43 min ago