Gulf surface cleaner, but oil lurks far below
WASHINGTON (KABC) -- Researchers say a lot of crude is lurking deep below the Gulf's surface and oil may be settling in an undersea canyon.
Scientists at the University of South Florida found evidence that microscopic amounts of oil is mixing into the soil of a critical undersea canyon off the Florida Panhandle. Researchers also found poisoned plant plankton which they blamed on a toxic brew of oil and dispersants.
The findings are preliminary and have yet to be reviewed by other scientists. Also, it hasn't been confirmed it is BP's oil researchers found.
Scientists who were not involved in the research said they're uncomfortable drawing conclusions based on such a brief look at the situation.
These new findings follow a report from Georgia researchers released on Monday that said as much as 80 percent of the oil from the massive spill remains in the Gulf. Both groups' research findings have already been incorporated into lawsuits filed against BP.
The findings from both groups depict a much darker scenario than that of government officials, who said just two weeks ago that most of the oil had been dissolved, dispersed or have been removed, leaving a little more than a quarter of the amount that spewed from the well that exploded in April.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
environment, storm, british petroleum, environmental protection agency, national news
- Malaysian PM: Jet's disappearance deliberate
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Woman, horse rescued at Angeles Nat'l Forest 58 min ago
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears 34 min ago
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies 7 min ago
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report