Crews prepare to raise blowout preventer
NEW ORLEANS (KABC) -- A vessel has latched onto a key piece of evidence in the oil spill investigation so crews can raise the 300-ton device to the surface of the Gulf.
According to BP, the Helix Q4000 latched onto the blowout preventer a mile beneath the sea.
Crews will replace the failed blowout preventer first to deal with any pressure that is caused when the relief well the oil giant has been drilling intersects the blown-out well.
BP is expected to use mud and cement to plug the blown-out well for good from the bottom once the intersections occur.
A temporary cap that was placed in mid-July, that stopped oil from gushing into the Gulf, was removed Thursday.
The rig explosion on April 20 killed 11 workers. Approximately 206 million gallons of oil spewed from BP's well.
- BP says it has so far spent $8 billion responding to the disastrous oil well blowout in the Gulf of Mexico.
- The company said Friday that the total included $399 million paid to settle 127,000 claims from businesses and other affected by the oil spill.
- The oil company said more than 28,000 people and 4,000 vessels are still engaged in responding to the spill. BP says no oil has flowed from the well since July 15.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
gulf coast, british petroleum, environment, gulf oil spill, oil, national news
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought 2 min ago
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim 1 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog helps girl in surgery
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation 41 min ago
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis