Hundreds attend vigil for Rutgers student
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Hundreds of people turned out for a candlelight vigil Sunday to remember a Rutgers University student who killed himself after his sexual encounter with a man was secretly broadcast over the Internet.
His death was among others in September tied to anti-gay bullying.
"My prayer is that our act becomes something greater, that it becomes the action of something bigger," said Pastor Kevin Taylor, who was at the vigil in New Brunswick, N.J.
The 18-year-old New Jersey student took his own life after his sexual encounter with another man was allegedly streamed over the Internet by his roommate.
Hours before his suicide, Clementi reportedly posted on a gay website that he asked his resident advisor for help.
Clementi was one of at least five gay teens to kill themselves across the U.S. in the last three weeks. The deaths have provoked nationwide dialogue about bullying, and how gay teens are treated.
"I can tell you right now, when I was in high school in Mississippi, I was one of the first ones to jump on the bandwagon to make fun of a gay person," Bass said.
Just last month, a nationwide study found that gay college students experienced significantly greater harassment and discrimination.
"It is important to allow young people to come out and to find support and to realize that once you do come out, you're not alone," said Shane Windmeyer, the executive director of Campus Pride, a nonprofit that helps LGBT students.
Under invasion of privacy laws, the two students accused of bullying Clementi could face up to five years in prison, though hate crime charges could increase that sentence.
sex tape, body found, national news, david ono
- Car rally to be held in honor of Paul Walker
- Man wakes up locked inside dark empty plane
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- US vet Merrill Newman back in CA from NKorea
- Pasadena apartment fire caused by heater
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- 2 sought in Lancaster home invasion robberies
- Rancho Santa Margarita crash leaves 5 injured
- Cold weather brings flight cancellations 4 min ago
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Ukraine capital facing anti-govt protest
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week 3 min ago
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis