Congress fails to extend jobless benefits
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Unless Congress changes its mind, extended unemployment benefits for nearly two million Americans are set to run out by the end of the year.
Patrice and Melinda Haynes go to the Van Nuys WorkSource center trying, like thousands of Californians, to find a job.
"For about 2 years I've been looking, you know, It's been hard. I've applied to a lot of places," said Haynes.
Finding work is about to become even more critical for nearly two million Americans, who will stop getting unemployment checks by the end of December, after Congress failed to renew extended jobless benefits by Tuesday's deadline.
"It's detrimental. There aren't a lot of family and friends out there who are able to fill the need for the people who are unemployed," said Lisa Clor of Van Nuys. "At the current moment, I don't have a dollar to my name.
"It'll be hard to get a job, but then unemployment. You won't have a job, you won't have unemployment, and then what? A lot of people are going to be homeless," said Melinda Haynes.
In July 2008, Congress extended jobless benefits for up to 73 weeks. With the 26 weeks of coverage from the states, some Americans have been able to get 99 weeks of unemployment. The long-term benefits cost the U.S. government $319 billion over the past three years.
"I can empathize with people who feel like, you know, 'there's got to be an end to unemployment benefits' Really, should people be getting unemployment for 6 months or a year or longer? Maybe not," said Clor.
California has the nation's third highest unemployment rate at 12.4 percent. Many analysts said not renewing the extended jobless benefits will drive thousands of Californians into poverty.
"It's a bittersweet thing. It's correct on one side, because you don't want people to continue to live off this. But on the other side, there are a lot of people who are really, really struggling," said Andrew Muller.
unemployment, economy, congress, national news, john hartung
- Search for Oklahoma survivors almost complete
- Greuel, Garcetti face off on Election Day
- Prosecutors shed light on Maribel Ramos murder
- Vinny Del Negro out as LA Clippers coach
- LA search-and-rescue on standby for Oklahoma 56 min ago
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts on 2 girls 1 min ago
- Jogger sexually assaulted in Santa Paula
- Immigration bill approved by Senate committee 21 min ago
- Jodi Arias jury sentencing deliberations begin
- abcnews: Boston bombing probe heads to Russia
- Bin Laden photos: Court sides with US govt
- 2013 Legacy, Outback recalled for steering issue
- New ACL surgery technique reduces failure rate 54 min ago
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10