Officials: Border agent dies in gunbattle
NOGALES, Ariz. (KABC) -- A U.S. border patrol agent was shot to death near Nogales, Arizona, Tuesday night during a shootout with suspected border bandits, authorities said.
Brian Terry, 40, was a three-year veteranof the border patrol.
Terry was waiting with three other agents when a gun battle with bandits errupted, officials said.
Four suspects have been taken into custody, a fifth is still on the loose.
The bandits are known to roam border areas, often robbing and sexually assaulting illegal immigrants as they cross into the U.S.
It is unclear what prompted the gunfight.
Terry, a former Marine and Michigan police officer, was part of an elite squad similar to a police SWAT team that was sent to the remote areas north of Nogales known for border banditry, drug smuggling and violence.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
immigration, shooting, national news
- Malaysian PM: Jet's disappearance deliberate
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Brush fire burns near Gorman by Quail Lake
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
56 min ago