Procedure not followed in abortion pill error
DENVER (KABC) -- Safeway says procedures meant to reduce prescription errors were not followed at its pharmacy when a pregnant woman was given the wrong prescription.
Mareena Silva, who is six weeks pregnant, was given Methotrexate, a drug that is sometimes used for abortions. Her baby now has a 50 percent chance of having abnormalities.
The drug was was meant for another woman with a similar name, and Silva was supposed to get an antibiotic.
"This is my first child," Silva said. "It's difficult to deal with. My baby could have deformities and a lot that goes with it."
Methotrexate is used to treat some cancers, rheumatoid arthritis, and psoriasis. In the 50s, it was used for abortions, but it often ended up creating birth defects instead of terminating pregnancies.
"I took it because I thought it was mine," Silva said. "I came back and I looked at the bottle and it wasn't my name."
The Methotrexate had been prescribed for a woman whose last name was also Silva, but who is in her late 50s.
"Sorry is not going to cut it," said Silva. "I'm going to have to deal with this for a long time."
When Mareena took the drug, she called her doctor and he told her to try to vomit. Then she was rushed to the hospital where she was given charcoal to absorb the drug.
Silva may not know for a while if the drug had any effect on her baby. While a miscarriage is unlikely, birth defects include throat problems, facial abnormalities and neurological problems.
Safeway has offered to cover any medical expenses incurred from the mix-up.
pregnancy, national news
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought 50 min ago
- Lancaster fight leads to double stabbing
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Calif. bill would ban orcas in SeaWorld shows
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere