Procedure not followed in abortion pill error
DENVER (KABC) -- Safeway says procedures meant to reduce prescription errors were not followed at its pharmacy when a pregnant woman was given the wrong prescription.
Mareena Silva, who is six weeks pregnant, was given Methotrexate, a drug that is sometimes used for abortions. Her baby now has a 50 percent chance of having abnormalities.
The drug was was meant for another woman with a similar name, and Silva was supposed to get an antibiotic.
"This is my first child," Silva said. "It's difficult to deal with. My baby could have deformities and a lot that goes with it."
Methotrexate is used to treat some cancers, rheumatoid arthritis, and psoriasis. In the 50s, it was used for abortions, but it often ended up creating birth defects instead of terminating pregnancies.
"I took it because I thought it was mine," Silva said. "I came back and I looked at the bottle and it wasn't my name."
The Methotrexate had been prescribed for a woman whose last name was also Silva, but who is in her late 50s.
"Sorry is not going to cut it," said Silva. "I'm going to have to deal with this for a long time."
When Mareena took the drug, she called her doctor and he told her to try to vomit. Then she was rushed to the hospital where she was given charcoal to absorb the drug.
Silva may not know for a while if the drug had any effect on her baby. While a miscarriage is unlikely, birth defects include throat problems, facial abnormalities and neurological problems.
Safeway has offered to cover any medical expenses incurred from the mix-up.
pregnancy, national news
- Gunman at large in East LA party shooting
- Drug boat washes ashore in Manhattan Beach
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Anaheim begins closing marijuana dispensaries
- Ex-PTA president allegedly stole candy funds 55 min ago
- OC teen to be tried as adult in dad beating
- Ex-Compton deputy fire chief out on bail
- Palmdale boy dies after allegedly being tortured
- Are bridges in Southern California safe?
- Committee approves dental care to Medi-Cal
- London attack: Suspect's friend questioned 10 min ago
- abcnews: WWII medals back after mistaken donation
- 'The Rock' returns for 'Fast & Furious 6'
- OTRC: Vin Diesel denies steroids use (Video)