7-year-old Florida boy mauled saving brother from dog
HOMESTEAD, Fla. (KABC) -- A 7-year-old Florida boy is in the hospital recovering from being mauled by a dog who was going to attack his younger brother.
Police in Homestead say the boy, Tim Perez, threw himself over his 4-year-old brother and a 4-year-old friend when they were running away from the dog.
Authorities say the two younger children then crawled under a vehicle and the dog started attacking Tim.
He received severe bites to the head, shoulder and arm.
The boy's father, who did not want to be identified, saw what was happening and came to the rescue.
"I just grabbed the shovel, the steel shovel, and I just hit the dog," he said.
Officials say what happens to the dog is up to animal control services, which took the dog away, and whether the owner will be cited.
The boy is expected to be OK.
animal news, dog attack, national news
- Las Vegas casino shooting video released
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- '12 Years a Slave,' 'Hustle' lead Globes noms 2 min ago
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena
- 'Button-down Bandit' arrested after pursuit
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- 1 dead in small plane crash off Molokai, Hawaii
- Senator's aide arrested on child porn charges
- abcnews: Bernie Madoff's 7 biggest lies
- Moving while sitting can prevent back pain
- SAG Awards: '12 Years a Slave' leads noms
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
56 min ago