7-year-old Florida boy mauled saving brother from dog
HOMESTEAD, Fla. (KABC) -- A 7-year-old Florida boy is in the hospital recovering from being mauled by a dog who was going to attack his younger brother.
Police in Homestead say the boy, Tim Perez, threw himself over his 4-year-old brother and a 4-year-old friend when they were running away from the dog.
Authorities say the two younger children then crawled under a vehicle and the dog started attacking Tim.
He received severe bites to the head, shoulder and arm.
The boy's father, who did not want to be identified, saw what was happening and came to the rescue.
"I just grabbed the shovel, the steel shovel, and I just hit the dog," he said.
Officials say what happens to the dog is up to animal control services, which took the dog away, and whether the owner will be cited.
The boy is expected to be OK.
animal news, dog attack, national news
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15 51 min ago
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- Operation Crossover targets liquor thieves 15 min ago
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- 'Luger Bandit' bank robbery suspect caught
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Solvang ordinance scare prompts evacuations 8 min ago
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break