False tip sparks search for bodies in Texas
LIBERTY COUNTY, Texas (KABC) -- Authorities determined that there were no bodies at a Texas home after receiving an anonymous tip from a person claiming to be a psychic.
Rex Evans, a spokesman for the Liberty County Sheriff's Department, said they received an anonymous tip on Monday night that there were multiple bodies at a home in Liberty County, about 70 miles northeast of Houston.
Deputies found blood on a back door and smelled something foul coming from the house, prompting them to get a search warrant. A cadaver dog indicated the possible presence of a body, but ultimately found nothing.
According to a judge from Liberty County, the tipster said the bodies were dismembered and some of them were children.
The judge said deputies visited the property Monday and found nothing, but the tipster called back Tuesday morning and said they looked in the wrong place. The judge said the blood found may be from a suicide attempt reported at the house a couple of weeks ago.
The FBI was called in to assist with the investigation.
Evans said the inside of the home was filthy, but was being lived in.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
body found, body part found, national news
- Tornado hits Oklahoma City suburbs; 51 dead
- Girl escapes brazen kidnap attempt in OC
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Greuel, Garcetti make final stops across LA
- Video: Pit bull owners rally against discrimination
- Elephant meat, dead primate seized at LAX
- Laguna Beach sex assault suspect surrenders
- Fire near Frazier Park 90 percent contained
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay
- abcnews: Hofstra student killed in police standoff
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches
- Does your child have oral allergy syndrome? 19 min ago
- Ray Manzarek, The Doors founder, dies at 74 57 min ago
- OTRC: Seth MacFarlane 'unable' to host Oscars again