False tip sparks search for bodies in Texas
LIBERTY COUNTY, Texas (KABC) -- Authorities determined that there were no bodies at a Texas home after receiving an anonymous tip from a person claiming to be a psychic.
Rex Evans, a spokesman for the Liberty County Sheriff's Department, said they received an anonymous tip on Monday night that there were multiple bodies at a home in Liberty County, about 70 miles northeast of Houston.
Deputies found blood on a back door and smelled something foul coming from the house, prompting them to get a search warrant. A cadaver dog indicated the possible presence of a body, but ultimately found nothing.
According to a judge from Liberty County, the tipster said the bodies were dismembered and some of them were children.
The judge said deputies visited the property Monday and found nothing, but the tipster called back Tuesday morning and said they looked in the wrong place. The judge said the blood found may be from a suicide attempt reported at the house a couple of weeks ago.
The FBI was called in to assist with the investigation.
Evans said the inside of the home was filthy, but was being lived in.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
body found, body part found, national news
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested 28 min ago
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Indio High students, faculty tested for TB
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Calif. jobless rate continues positive trend
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32 7 min ago
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)