Gap in Palin's early gubernatorial emails
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (KABC) -- Alaska officials are investigating an apparent gap in the release of emails of former Governor Sarah Palin.
The Anchorage Daily News reports there are very few emails from her first and very busy month in office.
Last Friday, the state released nearly 25,000 pages of emails sent and received by Palin during her first 21 months in office.
News media requested the records after Palin was named as the vice presidential candidate in 2008.
Only five emails from December were provided in the release, and the first email generated from Palin's Yahoo account appears Jan. 2, 2007. Another from an unidentified account just days earlier was included in an email chain between aides.
Linda Perez, the administrative office for Alaska Gov. Sean Parnell, said Tuesday she has asked information technology services to check their search criteria for the emails and come back with suggestions. She did not have a timetable for when they might be able to provide further information.
Palin and her staff were known to use private email accounts to conduct state business.
The first email from Palin in the 24,199 pages released Friday was sent Jan. 2, 2007, from a personal Yahoo account. In the state's release of emails, officials withheld 2,275 pages for reasons including attorney-client, work product or executive privilege; an additional 140 pages were deemed to be "non-records," or unrelated to state business.
Palin resigned early during her first term as governor of the state in 2009. She was elected in 2006.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
sarah palin, national news
- Las Vegas casino shooting video released
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- Mansion party arrests: Teens post pics online
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena
- 'Button-down Bandit' arrested after pursuit
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- 1 dead in small plane crash off Molokai, Hawaii
- Senator's aide arrested on child porn charges
- abcnews: Bernie Madoff's 7 biggest lies
- Moving while sitting can prevent back pain
- SAG Awards: '12 Years a Slave' leads noms
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate