Strauss-Kahn accuser files libel suit against New York Post
NEW YORK (KABC) -- The hotel maid who accused the former head of the International Monetary Fund of sexual assault is suing the New York Post.
Dominique Strauss-Kahn, 62, was freed from house arrest last week after new information cast doubt on the woman's credibility.
She filed a libel lawsuit Tuesday against the tabloid. A series of Post articles over the weekend said the 32-year-old was a "prostitute," and a "hooker" and that she "traded sex for money."
The tabloid is standing by its reporting, according to a spokeswoman.
Meantime in Paris, a French novelist formally filed an attempted rape claim against Strauss-Kahn. The alleged incident happened in 2003.
Tristane Banon said she had waited eight years before filing her complaint because "it's very difficult for any woman in this situation ... and it's even more difficult when you know in advance that it's doomed to failure."
Banon said she described some of the attack in an "autobiographical novel" she published in 2006 called "The Trapeze Artist."
If Banon's complaint leads to preliminary charges, there will then be a lengthier investigation, sometimes lasting years, to determine if the case should go to trial before a judge.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
new york, sex crimes, national news
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Big Sur wildfire is now fully contained 15 min ago
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Beyonce surprises fans at Mass. Wal-Mart 44 min ago
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)