Casey Anthony to be released on July 17
ORLANDO, Fla. (KABC) -- Authorities in Florida have announced that Casey Anthony will be freed July 17 instead of Wednesday as previously announced following her conviction for lying to authorities during the investigation of her 2-year-old daughter's death.
Anthony was back in court day on Thursday for sentencing on four misdemeanor counts of lying to law enforcement. She appeared more relaxed and even wore her hair down for the first time.
The judge imposed the maximum sentence possible - four years in jail - but she is getting credit for the two-and-a-half years she's already served, as well as good behavior.
Orange County corrections spokesman Allen Moore said Anthony's new release date was based on a "detailed recalculation."
There is no word yet on where Anthony will go after her release next week.
The sentencing comes two days after she was acquitted of killing and abusing her daughter Caylee. She was convicted of four counts of lying to detectives trying to find her daughter in July 2008.
She lied to police about working at the Universal Studios theme park, about leaving her daughter with a non-existent nanny named Zanny, about leaving the girl with friends and about receiving a phone call from her.
But Anthony is facing more legal and financial challenges. The state of Florida is asking her to compensate them for the enormous cost of investigating the case, and the search firm that helped look for her missing daughter says it is considering a lawsuit to recoup the $112,000 it spent on the effort.
"This is money that really needed to go to families that need us," said Tim Miller of Texas Equusearch
Anthony is also facing a defamation suit from a woman she claimed was a nanny who kidnapped Caylee.
Emotions are still running high over Anthony's acquittal of murder charges. Protesters demonstrated outside the Orlando court building again on Thursday, demanding justice for Caylee.
Several media outlets petitioned the judge in the case to release the names of all the jurors. But Judge Belvin Perry said he felt there should be a "cooling off period" before he makes their identities public.
One juror who spoke exclusively to ABC News said she doesn't necessarily believe Anthony is innocent of killing her young daughter Caylee, she's just not sure what happened.
"There wasn't enough evidence. There wasn't anything strong enough to say. I don't think anyone in America can tell us exactly how she died. If you put even just the 12 jurors in one room with a piece of paper, write down how Caylee died. Nobody knows. We'd all be guessing," said Jennifer Ford, who was juror No. 3. "How can you punish someone for something if you don't know what they did?"
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
homicide investigation, court case, legal, good morning america, national news, leslie miller
- James Gandolfini of 'Sopranos' dies at 51 57 min ago
- Hollywood panhandlers allegedly kill LA woman
- OC caregiver arrested for alleged sex assault
- Tip led to ex-USC professor's Mexico arrest
- Wrong-way driver charged with DUI in 14 pile-up
- West Hills murder suspect pleads not guilty
- Metro Red, Purple lines now requires TAP card
- Man stabbed during carjacking in Oxnard
- TWA Flight 800 documentary hints at cover-up
- Afghan leader suspends talks with Taliban, US
- abcnews: Marine returns from war as underwear model
- Piedmont beef's lower fat entices connoisseurs
- Michael Jackson chef describes confrontation 39 min ago
- OTRC: 'Anchorman 2' new trailer (Video)