Whitey Bulger's girlfriend pleads not guilty
BOSTON (KABC) -- The longtime girlfriend of reputed mob boss James "Whitey" Bulger pleaded not guilty on Thursday to helping him elude the law during his 16 years as a fugitive.
Catherine Greig entered her plea in a Boston courtroom. She has been charged with harboring and concealing a fugitive.
Prosecutors say Greig actively helped Bulger escape capture, but her attorney says she was in love with Bulger and wasn't aware of the extent of Bulger's alleged crimes when she fled with him in 1995.
The two were captured together in Santa Monica two months ago, more than 16 years after Bulger fled.
Grieg faces up to five years behind bars if convicted.
Bulger has pleaded not guilty to taking part in 19 murders while heading up Boston's notorious Winter Hill Gang.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
santa monica, arrest, national news
- Malaysian PM: Jet's disappearance deliberate
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Brush fire burns near Gorman by Quail Lake
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)