Whitey Bulger's girlfriend pleads not guilty
BOSTON (KABC) -- The longtime girlfriend of reputed mob boss James "Whitey" Bulger pleaded not guilty on Thursday to helping him elude the law during his 16 years as a fugitive.
Catherine Greig entered her plea in a Boston courtroom. She has been charged with harboring and concealing a fugitive.
Prosecutors say Greig actively helped Bulger escape capture, but her attorney says she was in love with Bulger and wasn't aware of the extent of Bulger's alleged crimes when she fled with him in 1995.
The two were captured together in Santa Monica two months ago, more than 16 years after Bulger fled.
Grieg faces up to five years behind bars if convicted.
Bulger has pleaded not guilty to taking part in 19 murders while heading up Boston's notorious Winter Hill Gang.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
santa monica, arrest, national news
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected 30 min ago
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- LA Council speaks on immigration deportations
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: Renewed Gacy probe reunites family 58 min ago
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
47 min ago