Police say N.J. man used hate crime ploy to kill wife
BOONTON, N.J. (KABC) -- On a quiet Tuesday night, 27-year-old Nazish Noorani went for a walk with her husband in suburban Boonton, N.J.
They left a family gathering with their 3-year-old son, who sat in a stroller as someone came up to them and started shooting. Noorani, also the mother of a 5 year old who wasn't with them, died in a hail of bullets.
Noorani's husband of six years, Kashif Parvaiz, 26, was also shot but survived.
He told police three Black men attacked his family and called them terrorists. Detectives were quick to dismiss that story.
Within hours of the crime, "it was obvious to investigators that this was sadly the alleged handy work of the victim's husband who allegedly did the unthinkable and plotted to murder his wife," Morris County prosecutor Robert Bianchi said.
On the day of Noorani's funeral, relatives found out that Parvaiz had been arrested. Police said he confessed to planning the murder plot with Antoinette Stephen, with whom he had a relationship in Boston. Stephen is accused of pulling the trigger.
Police say the killers left a trail of text messages as they made their plans.
A few days before the murder, police say Stephen texted Parvaiz, "You hang in there. Freedom is just around ur corner."
Hours before, police say he texted Stephen from his sister-in-law's home, instructing her to delete all messages from phone.
The husband reportedly made a deal before his wife's murder to collect $2 million from the sale of an apartment building in New York City.
Police say they found a text message the wife sent before she died, telling her brother about problems in the marriage and that someday they would find her dead.
Parvaiz, who has been in the hospital, was being held on $1 million bail.
murder, homicide investigation, arrest, national news, david ono
- Deputies allegedly planted guns in pot clinic
- $20K reward offered in unsolved Compton murder 52 min ago
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house 57 min ago
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run
- Claremont sexual predator charged with felonies
- Suspicious bag found on the tarmac at LAX
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Murder suspect worried tattoo might hurt case
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Laura Prepon reacts to Tom Cruise rumors