2-year search for missing mom suddenly escalates
PUYALLUP, Wash. (KABC) -- The nearly two-year search for a missing Utah mother has suddenly escalated, with investigators taking several computers from her husband's new house in Puyallup, Wash.
Susan Powell disappeared in 2009. Now, Josh Powell is considered a person of interest in the case.
Authorities said Josh Powell has recently stopped returning phone calls from authorities seeking his aid in finding Susan Cox Powell, though he appeared calm when they arrived at his two-story home in the suburbs Thursday afternoon.
Recently, family members exchanged sordid accusations of sex and deceit.
Josh Powell's father, Steve Powell, claimed on "Good Morning America" that he had a flirtatious relationship with his daughter-in-law. He said they were falling in love and even implied a sexual relationship had occurred.
"Susan was very sexual with me," Steve Powell said. "We interacted in a lot of sexual ways because Susan enjoys doing that."
Her parents adamantly denied Steve Powell's claims, saying Steve Powell initiated unwanted sexual advances toward her.
Some members of the Powell family retaliated by saying Susan came from an abusive home.
Others say it's time for everyone to be more forthcoming.
"My dad and Josh have been doing a lot of talking especially the last couple of weeks, but you'll notice they're not saying anything of value, so they need to start talking to the police tell them what they know," said Jennifer Graves, Josh Powell's sister.
Josh Powell says he didn't hurt his wife and doesn't know where she is. He has not been charged with a crime.
Susan Powell was last seen by her husband Dec. 6, 2009, in her West Valley City, Utah, home outside Salt Lake City. She was reported missing the next day when she didn't show up for work.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
missing person, national news
- Glendale Galleria $85K bracelet thief sought
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Compton chase victim remembered by loved ones
- Van Nuys arsonist suspect sought by LAFD
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail
- Man arrested for suspected arson in Oxnard
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'