Early report: Reno air-show crash kills 3, injures 56
RENO, Nev. (KABC) -- An air-show crash in Reno killed at least three people, including the pilot, and injured 56 Friday afternoon. Twenty-five of those injured were critically wounded, and 25 were seriously injured.
Spectators described the scene as horrific; the plane crashing into box seats at the National Championship Air Races at Reno-Stead Airport.
The Florida pilot, Jimmy Leeward, was a veteran Hollywood stuntman pilot. The 74-year-old's vintage WWII plane spiraled out of control just before 4:30 p.m. and disintegrated in the crash.
"I saw this plane go straight into the ground, right into the grand stands," said one witness. "And it was just unbelievable. There was no fire, there was no explosion. It was like asphalt and dust, and parts, and things flying through the air."
Leeward was flying his P-51 Mustang, the Galloping Ghost, when something went terribly wrong.
"The plane just turned hard," said another witness. "And when it was coming down you could tell he must have been pulling really hard on the stick to try to get it as far away from the stands as possible."
The number of dead varied as details emerged Friday evening- as many as 12 were initially thought killed and 75 seriously injured.
Multiple FAA inspectors were observing the air race at the time of the crash, according to the FAA. They said that there were no flames on impact. But the debris field was widespread.
"We are all devastated by what this tragedy," said Mike Houghton from Reno Air Racing Association. "We are doing everything we can to move along, and communicate and work with folks that are directly and adversely affected by this."
Meanwhile, the Leeward family issued a statement: "We are deeply saddened by the tragedy. Please join us in praying for all those involved."
The cause of the crash is still under investigation. An air show official thinks there are indications that point to mechanical problems.
plane crash, faa, national news, nannette miranda
- Glendale Galleria $85K bracelet thief sought
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Compton chase victim remembered by loved ones 16 min ago
- Van Nuys arsonist suspect sought by LAFD 14 min ago
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail
- Man arrested for suspected arson in Oxnard 59 min ago
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
5 min ago