Early report: Reno air-show crash kills 3, injures 56
RENO, Nev. (KABC) -- An air-show crash in Reno killed at least three people, including the pilot, and injured 56 Friday afternoon. Twenty-five of those injured were critically wounded, and 25 were seriously injured.
Spectators described the scene as horrific; the plane crashing into box seats at the National Championship Air Races at Reno-Stead Airport.
The Florida pilot, Jimmy Leeward, was a veteran Hollywood stuntman pilot. The 74-year-old's vintage WWII plane spiraled out of control just before 4:30 p.m. and disintegrated in the crash.
"I saw this plane go straight into the ground, right into the grand stands," said one witness. "And it was just unbelievable. There was no fire, there was no explosion. It was like asphalt and dust, and parts, and things flying through the air."
Leeward was flying his P-51 Mustang, the Galloping Ghost, when something went terribly wrong.
"The plane just turned hard," said another witness. "And when it was coming down you could tell he must have been pulling really hard on the stick to try to get it as far away from the stands as possible."
The number of dead varied as details emerged Friday evening- as many as 12 were initially thought killed and 75 seriously injured.
Multiple FAA inspectors were observing the air race at the time of the crash, according to the FAA. They said that there were no flames on impact. But the debris field was widespread.
"We are all devastated by what this tragedy," said Mike Houghton from Reno Air Racing Association. "We are doing everything we can to move along, and communicate and work with folks that are directly and adversely affected by this."
Meanwhile, the Leeward family issued a statement: "We are deeply saddened by the tragedy. Please join us in praying for all those involved."
The cause of the crash is still under investigation. An air show official thinks there are indications that point to mechanical problems.
plane crash, faa, national news, nannette miranda
- 4 hospitalized in Fullerton bar stabbing 11 min ago
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Gorman brush fire near full containment 45 min ago
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Tustin theater evacuated for investigation
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio 48 min ago
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report