UNC Wilmington warns of gunman on campus
WILMINGTON, N.C. (KABC) -- The University of North Carolina-Wilmington posted an alert on its website Monday night warning that at least one gunman was on campus and people should immediately get to a secure location.
"Gunman on campus. Shelter in place immediately," the warning read.
Wilmington police said they were searching for a man on campus who robbed four people at gunpoint.
Officials told the Associated Press that authorities were using a helicopter and a K-9 unit to find the man, who was last seen armed with a small-caliber handgun headed toward campus from about a block away.
The alert was issued just before midnight EDT. In the alert, people were advised to stay away from windows and lock doors. It also advised to continue monitoring their cellphones and the website.
The alert, officials said, was issued as a "precautionary measure."
In August, another situation involving a gunman on campus raised concerns from university officials who said the school's emergency alert system failed to properly notify the campus as police searched for a man accused of a shooting in a nearby apartment complex.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 2 3 min ago
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Tanker crash shuts I-5 North lanes in Castaic
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Selena Gomez films Adidas ads (Photos)