3 adults, 3 kids killed in Ariz. plane crash
PHOENIX (KABC) -- Six people were killed, including three children, when a small plane crashed in high mountains about 40 miles east of Phoenix, Ariz.
The twin-engine plane went down Wednesday night in the Superstition Mountains. Witnesses reported seeing a fireball and an explosion.
The dead included pilot Shawn Perry, 39, his two sons and his daughter, Babeu said. Morgan Perry, 9, Logan Perry, 8, and Luke Perry, 6, lived with their mother in the community of Gold Canyon in Pinal County. Their father lived in Safford in southeastern Arizona and owned a small aviation business there.
He had flown to the Phoenix suburb of Mesa with another pilot who co-owned the company and a company mechanic to pick up the children for Thanksgiving. The plane was headed back to Safford when it crashed.
The other pilot was identified as Russell Hardy, 31, of Thatcher, Ariz., and the mechanic was Joseph Hardwick, 22, of Safford.
There was no indication the plane was in distress or that the pilot had radioed controllers about any problem, the sheriff said.
It was very dark at the time, and the plane missed clearing the peak by only several hundred feet. The aircraft slammed into an area of rugged peaks and outcroppings in the Superstition Mountains, 40 miles east of downtown Phoenix, at about 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, authorities said.
The plane crashed near a peak known as the Flat Iron, close to Lost Dutchman State Park, according to sheriff's officials.
There was no indication the plane was in distress or that the pilot had radioed controllers about any problem, investigators said.
It was very dark at the time and the plane missed clearing the peak by only several hundred feet.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
plane crash, national news
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens 10 min ago
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment 40 min ago
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Venice boardwalk crash victims recount ordeal
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- LAX suspect indicted on 1st-degree murder
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- abcnews: Father, daughter recreate wedding photos
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the 70s 29 min ago
- Photos: Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts at 'August' debut
- Gay couple plans wedding on Rose Parade float
20 min ago