Crews hunt for victims in AZ plane crash that killed 6
PHOENIX (KABC) -- Crews searched for the victims of a plane crash that killed six people in southeastern Arizona on Friday.
The pilot, his three children, and two adults were heading for a Thanksgiving weekend in Safford, Ariz. Authorities said the twin-engine plane was traveling at 200 mph when it crashed into the Superstition Mountains around 6:30 p.m.
The aircraft exploded in flames, split apart and scattered burning debris.
"No one could have survived that crash," said Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu.
The body of one child was found Wednesday night. Search and rescue crews, along with volunteers, began working to recover the remains of the other victims Thursday morning.
The mother, divorced from the father, was notified late Wednesday.
"This is their entire family - it's terrible," Babeu said. "Our hearts go out to the mom and the [families] of all the crash victims. We have had so many people that are working this day, and we just want to support them and embrace them and try to bring closure to this tragedy."
Authorities said the dead included pilot Shawn Perry, 39, and his children Morgan Perry, 9, Logan Perry, 8, and 6-year-old Luke Perry. The other pilot was identified as Russell Hardy, 31, and the mechanic was 22-year-old Joseph Hardwick.
There's no word on what caused the crash but the sheriff said there was no indication the plane was in distress or that the pilot had radioed controllers about any problem.
The Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board are investigating.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
plane crash, national news
- Man allegedly shoots, kills sister, wife 39 min ago
- Ex-con allegedly attacked 2 relatives, friend 21 min ago
- Santa Ana jewelry store robbery caught on cam
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year
- Man arrested in 'revenge porn' website case
- Bell moving forward after Spaccia conviction
- Budget deal: Liberals, conservatives grumbling
- abcnews: Woman claws way out of locked bathroom
- Ukraine police stand down after protest grows
- Nelson Mandela mourners pay last respects
- Mega Millions jackpot to soar to $400 million
- Paul Walker crash: 2nd theft suspect surrenders
- SAG Awards: '12 Years a Slave' leads noms 4 min ago
- OTRC: Demi Lovato's cocaine, alcohol confessions