Sandusky charity asks donors to give elsewhere
HARRISBURG, Pa. (KABC) -- Second Mile, the charity founded by former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, asked its donors on Monday to given their money elsewhere.
In the latest sign that the charity could fold, Second Mile recommended giving to the Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape.
The Second Mile was founded in 1977 by Sandusky, who has been charged with sexually abusing eight boys over a 15-year period.
Prosecutors say Sandusky used the organization to meet victims. Sandusky has denied the allegations and is free on bail while he awaits a preliminary hearing next month.
In the meantime, federal investigators arrived in State College on Monday to look into whether Penn State violated reporting mandates for campus crime.
The federal investigation centers on whether reporting provisions of the Clery Act were complied with in the Sandusky case. State prosecutors also charged athletic director Tim Curley and former vice president Gary Schultz with not properly reporting suspected child abuse and perjury before a grand jury.
Penn State spokeswoman Lisa Powers said the university was "pulling a lot of data and archival information" for the U.S. Department of Education investigators.
Also Monday, Penn State officials announced a student forum on the scandal would take place on Wednesday.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
college football, sex crimes, national news
- Prostitution bust at OC hotel - exclusive
- MTA bus drivers claim illness from pesticide
- LA plastic-bag ban tentatively approved
- NSA foiled 50+ terrorist plots - director
- Torrance man sues over Dorner police shooting
- Cash in paper bag stolen in Altadena robbery
- Zuma Beach bus line launched from Thousand Oaks
- Michael Hastings, BuzzFeed reporter, dies
- 1,500 evacuated in wildfire near Yosemite
- 7-Eleven stores exploited immigrants - feds
- abcnews: NFL star's home searched after killing
- Zimmerman attorneys pick 40 potential jurors
- Dave Chappelle to headline Funny or Die tour
- OTRC: Lil Wayne talks on American flag controversy
- Stroke recognition crucial for quick...
31 min ago