Michelle Obama asked to Marine Corps Ball
WASHINGTON (KABC) -- A Marine has set up a date with none other than the wife of his commander in chief.
Marine Lance Cpl. Aaron Leeks, 20, met first lady Michelle Obama at the U.S. Marine Corps Toys for Tots campaign in Washington D.C. on Friday.
He asked Mrs. Obama to go with him to the Marine Corps Ball next November. The first lady answered she'd love to and gave him a hug.
Leeks said he asked Obama to accompany him because he's a fan and admires her work to support the military.
"She said she'd love to go," Leeks said. "Actually, she said I'd need to speak to her husband, too, but she said she'd love to."
In January, he will be deployed for the first time to Afghanistan but plans to attend the ball when he's home next year.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
first lady michelle obama, national news
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Fontana suspect escapes from police station
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed 9 min ago
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...