Michelle Obama asked to Marine Corps Ball
WASHINGTON (KABC) -- A Marine has set up a date with none other than the wife of his commander in chief.
Marine Lance Cpl. Aaron Leeks, 20, met first lady Michelle Obama at the U.S. Marine Corps Toys for Tots campaign in Washington D.C. on Friday.
He asked Mrs. Obama to go with him to the Marine Corps Ball next November. The first lady answered she'd love to and gave him a hug.
Leeks said he asked Obama to accompany him because he's a fan and admires her work to support the military.
"She said she'd love to go," Leeks said. "Actually, she said I'd need to speak to her husband, too, but she said she'd love to."
In January, he will be deployed for the first time to Afghanistan but plans to attend the ball when he's home next year.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
first lady michelle obama, national news
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- SKorea ferry accident: 10 more bodies pulled
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- East Hollywood fire: Garage heavily damaged
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Free admission offered to all national parks
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Documents detail another delayed GM recall
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour