Florida man arrested for planned bomb attack
TAMPA, Fla. (KABC) -- A Florida man has been arrested for an alleged plot to attack locations in Tampa with a vehicle bomb, assault rifle and other explosives.
FBI agents arrested 25-year-old Sami Osmakac in a sting operation that began in September. Osmakac is a naturalized citizen from Yugoslavia.
Authorities said Osmakac planned to build a car bomb and had designated locations he wanted to attack. They said he wanted to act as a suicide bomber and planned to take hostages, force authorities to release some prisoners and then detonate an explosives belt.
Authorities said Osmakac also made a video of himself explaining his motives for carrying out the planned violent attack.
The FBI arrested Osmakac on Saturday after he took possession of the explosive device and firearms given to him by an undercover agent posing as a black market dealer.
Osmaka is scheduled to appear in a Tampa courtroom on Monday. He has been charged with one count of attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction. If convicted, he faces a maximum sentence of life in prison and a $250,000 fine.
This is roughly the 42nd case in two years involving people arrested in the U.S. for plotting terrorist acts, or providing support of some kind to terrorists.
ABC News contributed to this story.
arrest, bombing, terrorism, national news
- Blustering winds, low temps hitting Southland
- Man who allegedly pranked coaches arrested
- Spaccia convicted in Bell corruption trial
- 18 indicted in LA Sheriff's Dept abuse probe 14 min ago
- Houseguest arrested after 80-year-old's death
- OCTA votes against 405 Freeway toll lanes
- Glendale man gets 5 yrs in 'sextortion' case
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
- Storm snarls travel; power outages persist
- abcnews: Senate extends ban on plastic guns 41 min ago
- New cockroach found in NYC can withstand cold
- 6 finalists announced for 2013 Heisman trophy
- 'Saving Mr. Banks' tells 'Poppins' back story
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke