Natalee Holloway officially declared dead
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (KABC) -- A judge in Alabama officially declared Natalee Holloway dead on Thursday, six years after her disappearance.
Holloway vanished in Aruba in 2005 at the age of 18 during a high school graduation trip, but her body was never found. She was last seen with Joran van der Sloot, who was arrested twice in the case but never charged.
Her father made the request to have her declared legally dead.
"We've been dealing with her death for the last six and a half years," Dave Holloway said after a brief hearing. "We've still got a long way to go to get justice."
The hearing was scheduled long before van der Sloot pleaded guilty Wednesday in Peru to the 2010 murder of a woman he met at a casino in Lima.
Stephany Flores, 21, was killed five years to the day after Holloway, an 18-year-old from the wealthy Birmingham suburb of Mountain Brook, disappeared.
Van der Sloot also faces federal charges accusing him of extorting $25,000 from mother Beth Holloway to reveal the location of her daughter's body.
Prosecutors said the money was paid, but nothing was disclosed about the missing woman's whereabouts.
Investigators have long worked from the assumption that the young woman was dead in Aruba, where the case was officially classified as a homicide investigation.
Dave Holloway told the judge in September he believed his daughter had died and he wanted to stop payments on her medical insurance and use her $2,000 college fund to help her younger brother.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
murder, court case, national news
- Search for Oklahoma survivors almost complete 34 min ago
- Greuel, Garcetti face off on Election Day
- Vinny Del Negro out as LA Clippers coach
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts on 2 girls
- LA voters to decide future of marijuana shops
- Jogger sexually assaulted in Santa Paula
- UC hospital workers strike over understaffing
- Jodi Arias jury sentencing deliberations begin 45 min ago
- Bin Laden photos: Court sides with US govt 9 min ago
- abcnews: Apple CEO defends offshore tax policy
- SF 49ers new stadium to host Super Bowl 50
- 2013 Legacy, Outback recalled for steering issue
- 'DWTS': Zendaya holds lead in final four
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10 45 min ago
- ABC7 Eyewitness News Live Video
2 min ago
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca
16 min ago