Ron Paul's son Rand held at Nashville airport
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (KABC) -- Texas Rep. Ron Paul's son Rand was held at Nashville International Airport after refusing to undergo a pat-down on Monday.
The GOP presidential candidate's son is a Kentucky U.S. Senator. Rand Paul said airport officials wanted to give him a pat-down after the full body scan went off. He refused, believing it was a glitch, and wanted to go back through the scan a second time instead.
According to officials, Rand Paul was denied access to the gate area of the airport since he refused to comply with security procedures and was escorted out of the screening area.
Ron Paul took to his Twitter page to address the incident saying, "My son being detained by TSA for refusing full body pat-down after anomaly in body scanner in Nashville. More details coming."
TSA released the following statement on the incident: "When an irregularity is found during the TSA screening process, it must be resolved prior to allowing a passenger to proceed to the secure area of the airport. Passengers who refuse to complete the screening process cannot be granted access to the secure area in order to ensure the safety of others traveling."
The senator said he was headed to Washington D.C. to speak to several thousand people on the National Lawn. He rebooked on another flight and was re-screened without incident.
ABC News contributed to this story.
airport security, tsa, national news
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots 44 min ago
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report