Luxor hotel guests had Legionnaires', 1 died
LAS VEGAS (KABC) -- The bacterium that causes Legionnaires' disease has been found in water samples at the Luxor hotel and casino in Las Vegas.
Health officials made the discovery following the death of a guest. Three guests have been diagnosed in the past year.
The resort's water was tested after the first two cases were reported during the spring of last year, but no Legionella bacterium was detected, district officials said. Those guests recovered.
An MGM Resorts spokesperson, which owns the Luxor, said they immediately began treatment procedures.
The new cases come as the company is already facing a $337.5 million civil lawsuit from guests who said they were infected with Legionella at the Aria Resort & Casino, half-owned by MGM Resorts. Six cases of Legionnaires' disease were detected there in July. The district said those guests recovered after treatment.
Last year, the bacterium was found in a hot tub at the Playboy Mansion in Los Angeles. Dozens of people who attended a fundraiser there became sick.
The bacterium is commonly found in fresh water environments and causes respiratory illness. The Luxor hotel guest died of the form of pneumonia.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
health, medical emergency, national news
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 7 min ago
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58 21 min ago
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter 35 min ago
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case 15 min ago
- North Hollywood hit-and-run driver sought 3 min ago
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy near Torrance 1 min ago
- Driver smashes car into Fillmore dollar store 16 min ago
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Ohio couple married 70 yrs die 15 hours apart
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members 37 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 27 min ago
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour