Nigerian underwear bomber gets life in prison
DETROIT (KABC) -- A Nigerian man was unrepentant as he was sentenced Thursday to life in prison for attempting to blow up an international flight with a bomb in his underwear as the plane approached Detroit on Christmas 2009.
Creating a scene in court, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab yelled "God is great" and said he was "proud to kill in the name of God."
The sentence was not a surprise after Abdulmutallab pleaded guilty to all the charges on the second day of the trial last fall.
Abdulmutallab had told authorities that he was working for al Qaeda in Yemen when he traveled on Northwest Airlines Flight 253 with the bomb in his underwear. The bomb didn't work, but it badly burned his groin.
Passengers pounced on Abdulmutallab and forced him to the front of Northwest Airlines Flight 253 where he was held until the plane landed minutes later.
The case also had lasting implications for security screening at American airports. Abdulmutallab's ability to defeat security in Amsterdam contributed to the deployment of full-body scanners at U.S. airports.
The Transportation Security Administration was using the scanners in some American cities at the time, but the attack accelerated their placement. There are now hundreds of the devices nationwide.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
terrorism, al qaeda, bombing, airplane, national news
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC 25 min ago
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service 50 min ago
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2 24 min ago
- Inmate escapes jail hours after sentencing
- Norwood pleads not guilty to weapons charge
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- Ex-Manson follower granted parole for 3rd time
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- Man in Fla. theater shooting also was texting
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets 21 min ago
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper 22 min ago
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors