'Romeo Burglar' in FL hits homes of women he dates
CORAL SPRINGS, Fla. (KABC) -- A search is under way in Florida for a man law enforcement officials have dubbed the "Romeo Burglar."
The suspect took a young woman on a date while his friend broke into her Coral Springs home, and her security camera caught the entire thing.
Police say the footage shows a man, who calls himself Florenciano Valentino, scoping out her house while she waited for him for their date at a nearby Applebee's restaurant.
After he left, his friend returned to the woman's home, broke a window, drove his car into the garage and stole $5,000 in electronics including an iPad, a laptop computer and a big screen TV.
Valentino and his thieving partner kept in contact throughout the meal. He used his date's iPhone to make the calls, according to police reports.
When his partner said he was finished burglarizing the home, Valentino asked to use the victim's phone one last time. Police say he then pocketed the phone, exited the restaurant and left the victim to pay the bill.
Officials said they tracked down the number Valentino was calling to a prepaid cellphone registered under the name "Thomas L."
Authorities say they believe Valentino goes around picking up females to plan burglaries.
Police say not only is this elaborate setup rare, it was so well executed that they believe this "Romeo Burglar" has probably tried it before.
They are looking for other victims and warning young ladies in the area.
ABC News contributed to this report.
burglary, national news
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- 405 accidents snarl Sepulveda Pass commute
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation 5 min ago
- 4.6-magnitude Mexico quake felt in SoCal
- abcnews: Service dog sniffs out girl's disease 56 min ago
- London theater collapse: Aging venues safe? 51 min ago
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Phil Robertson's fam talk 'Duck Dynasty' future 12 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
46 min ago