'Romeo Burglar' in FL hits homes of women he dates
CORAL SPRINGS, Fla. (KABC) -- A search is under way in Florida for a man law enforcement officials have dubbed the "Romeo Burglar."
The suspect took a young woman on a date while his friend broke into her Coral Springs home, and her security camera caught the entire thing.
Police say the footage shows a man, who calls himself Florenciano Valentino, scoping out her house while she waited for him for their date at a nearby Applebee's restaurant.
After he left, his friend returned to the woman's home, broke a window, drove his car into the garage and stole $5,000 in electronics including an iPad, a laptop computer and a big screen TV.
Valentino and his thieving partner kept in contact throughout the meal. He used his date's iPhone to make the calls, according to police reports.
When his partner said he was finished burglarizing the home, Valentino asked to use the victim's phone one last time. Police say he then pocketed the phone, exited the restaurant and left the victim to pay the bill.
Officials said they tracked down the number Valentino was calling to a prepaid cellphone registered under the name "Thomas L."
Authorities say they believe Valentino goes around picking up females to plan burglaries.
Police say not only is this elaborate setup rare, it was so well executed that they believe this "Romeo Burglar" has probably tried it before.
They are looking for other victims and warning young ladies in the area.
ABC News contributed to this report.
burglary, national news
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape 51 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student 12 min ago
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap 55 min ago
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Pro-Russian insurgents ignore diplomatic deal
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)