American Airlines jet delayed after attendant outburst
DALLAS (KABC) -- An American Airlines plane had to return to the gate before taking off from Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport on Friday after a flight attendant got on the intercom and told passengers the plane would probably crash.
The woman also mentioned the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and complained about union issues.
Passenger cell phone video captured the fligth attendant's screams as crew members and passengers try to restrain her.
The FAA says flight 2332 to Chicago had left the gate in Dallas and was taxiing when the flight attendant started a 15 minute rant on the plane's P.A. system. Shortly after, the pilot announced that nobody would be allowed off the plane.
The plane eventually returned to the gate where it was met by police. The flight attendant was taken to a hospital for evaluation.
Passenger Brad LeClear says he called 911 then ran to the front of the plane with another passenger to help restrain the flight attendant.
"She was in a manic-type state, when we were holding her down, I tried to talk her down and calm her down a little bit, she said she was bi-polar. We continued to hold her until authorities arrived, and when they showed up we helped put the cuffs on and got her off the plane," LeClear said.
An American Airlines spokesman declined to provide any information about the flight attendant. The cabin crew was replaced and the flight took off for Chicago about 80 minutes behind schedule. An airport spokesman in Dallas said the incident was a medical issue, not a security threat, and no charges will be filed.
airplane, airport news, airport security, national news, leslie miller
- Report of gun in LA Times bldg: suspect detained
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Cute bear cub left alone at animal rescue 57 min ago
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film 6 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in...
30 min ago