American Airlines jet delayed after attendant outburst
DALLAS (KABC) -- An American Airlines plane had to return to the gate before taking off from Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport on Friday after a flight attendant got on the intercom and told passengers the plane would probably crash.
The woman also mentioned the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and complained about union issues.
Passenger cell phone video captured the fligth attendant's screams as crew members and passengers try to restrain her.
The FAA says flight 2332 to Chicago had left the gate in Dallas and was taxiing when the flight attendant started a 15 minute rant on the plane's P.A. system. Shortly after, the pilot announced that nobody would be allowed off the plane.
The plane eventually returned to the gate where it was met by police. The flight attendant was taken to a hospital for evaluation.
Passenger Brad LeClear says he called 911 then ran to the front of the plane with another passenger to help restrain the flight attendant.
"She was in a manic-type state, when we were holding her down, I tried to talk her down and calm her down a little bit, she said she was bi-polar. We continued to hold her until authorities arrived, and when they showed up we helped put the cuffs on and got her off the plane," LeClear said.
An American Airlines spokesman declined to provide any information about the flight attendant. The cabin crew was replaced and the flight took off for Chicago about 80 minutes behind schedule. An airport spokesman in Dallas said the incident was a medical issue, not a security threat, and no charges will be filed.
airplane, airport news, airport security, national news, leslie miller
- James Gandolfini of 'Sopranos' dies at 51 18 min ago
- Tip led to ex-USC professor's Mexico arrest
- Hollywood panhandlers allegedly kill LA woman
- OC caregiver arrested for alleged sex assault
- East LA chase reaches speeds close to 120 mph
- Fugitive child-abuse couple seen in Maywood
- Wrong-way driver charged with DUI in 14 pile-up
- West Hills murder suspect pleads not guilty
- FBI busts international sports gambling ring
- Afghan leader suspends talks with Taliban, US
- abcnews: Marine returns from war as underwear model
- Piedmont beef's lower fat entices connoisseurs
- Michael Jackson chef describes confrontation
- OTRC: 'Anchorman 2' new trailer (Video)