Kenya bus station blasts in capital kill 4
NAIROBI, Kenya -- A grenade attack at one of the main bus stations in Kenya's capital killed at least four people and wounded 40 others Saturday, officials said, in the latest bloodshed blamed on sympathizers of Somalia's al-Qaida-linked insurgency.
Witnesses reported that people in a moving car hurled three grenades at the outdoor terminal, police spokesman Charles Owino said. Government minister Esther Murugi, who spoke after visiting Nairobi's main hospital where the wounded were brought, said six needed emergency surgery. Earlier, a Red Cross official said 12 people were in critical condition.
The blasts are the latest in a string of small arms, bomb and grenade attacks that have killed scores of people since Kenya sent troops across the border into neighboring Somalia in October. The incursion followed a string of attacks by Somali gunmen on Kenyan soil. Somalia's al-Qaida-linked insurgency vowed revenge and incited sympathizers to carry out attacks in Kenya.
"The more you attack us, the more we will become aggressive," Owino said.
Witness Ruben Otsembo was filling up his motorcycle at a nearby gas station when a man covered in blood ran up shouting about an explosion and bodies, and then collapsed and died in front of him. Another man, who was wounded in the arms and legs while he was buying a bus ticket, said he heard two explosions.
"It was the second one that got me," said Frederick Shikutu, 36, as he was being loaded into an ambulance.
explosion, national news
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled 52 min ago
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- 4.6-magnitude Mexico quake felt in SoCal 7 min ago
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis
- Cool Kid helps children with special needs
34 min ago
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
9 min ago